Welcome to Equestrian Bahamas
Join our community, as we support and encourage each other – learning, growing, and developing our sport through excellence! Whether you are a rider or parent, horse owner or trainer, sponsor or visitor, we hope you will find something of interest in our site.
Dear Riders, Trainers, Parents and Friends,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 horse show season! The season begins on a sobering note in the wake of Hurricane Dorian. Our sympathies remain with all those who experienced trauma and loss due to this devastating event.
The new season also brings cause for excitement and anticipation in the equestrian community, with new programs and opportunities for all members. An important milestone has been achieved as Equestrian Bahamas looks forward to being officially ratified and welcomed as a member National Federation by the Fédération Équestre Internationale (FEI) at the upcoming FEI General Assembly in Moscow in November, 2019.
Membership in the FEI, the official Olympic and International governing body of our sport, opens up whole new vistas of opportunity for Bahamian riders at every level. We begin this new competition year, therefore, by encouraging riders and horse enthusiasts of EVERY AGE AND LEVEL to become members in Equestrian Bahamas and join us in this exciting journey!
WHY BECOME A MEMBER? There are many reasons!
Competitive Opportunities at home and abroad
- Equestrian Bahamas members at EVERY LEVEL – from leadline on up – have the opportunity to join with our partner organizations such as the Princeton Equestrian League, the Marshall and Sterling League, and the US-based Interscholastic Equestrian Association. On behalf of our members, EB partners with these organizations to hold qualifying competitions and submit the results of these events, free of charge! As a result we congratulate all members who won year-end awards in the Princeton Equestrian League, qualified for the Marshall & Sterling Finals, and more!
- Only EB members have the opportunity to participate in our FREE Interschool Horse Shows. The success of this program has led to a partnership with the US-based Interscholastic Equestrian Association. This competition year we will be holding qualifying trials to field a team to compete in Atlanta, Georgia at the IEA Bahamas Invitational in February, 2020. Stay tuned for more…!
- EB members automatically become eligible to compete in FEI-sponsored events, internationally and throughout the region, such as the Caribbean Equestrian Association Regional Jumping Challenge.
- And of course, EB members can enter any of our 7 local shows during the 2019-2020 season, and compete for year-end awards!
Educational and Development Opportunities
- Members of Equestrian Bahamas at EVERY LEVEL can participate in our Rider Certification program, combining horsemanship and technical knowledge with fun to earn badges, prizes and more!
- EB members and coaches can participate free of charge in EB- and FEI-sponsored clinics and educational sessions on a variety of topics in horsemanship and equestrian disciplines. This year our coaches will be undertaking a number of professional development exercises which will directly impact our riders!
Civic and Social Outreach
- Equestrian Bahamas is dedicated to raising the profile of Equestrian Sport in the Bahamas and making the sport more accessible to riders from all backgrounds, through programmes such as our fully-funded Learn to Ride Summer programme for disadvantaged youth.
- We have partnered with the FEI, PAEC and the Caribbean Equine Relief Fund to provide thousands of dollars in horse feed, barn and medical supplies and other equipment to assist the barns in Grand Bahama which were affected by Hurricane Dorian. Your membership fees support our equine relief efforts as well as other social outreach programmes to bring the joy of equestrian sport to the wider community!
EB membership is for all those who love horses and are inspired by equestrian sport. Whether you are a rider, a parent, a horse-owner, or a horse enthusiast, membership in Equestrian Bahamas is for you. We are dedicated to growing our sport, providing opportunities for our riders, and building a community of people who love horses! We welcome one and all, and we are always looking for volunteers for our many committees! I invite you to check out all that we do and explore the links to our partner organizations through our website.
The deadline for membership dues for the upcoming year is October 1, 2019. If you have not yet submitted your EB membership renewal or application for the 2019-2020 year, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible. Please note that in order for points to count toward divisions and medals, all memberships (horses and riders) must be paid before (or at) the first show at Mariposa on October 5, 2019. Points will not be assigned retroactively to late payments.
To arrange payment of your membership dues please submit your application through your trainer, or contact Mrs. Sabrina Wong at [email protected]. Cheques should be made payable to Equestrian Bahamas.
Finally, we look forward to seeing you all at this year’s Annual General Meeting, the date of which will be announced shortly. The AGM is an opportunity for every EB member to become more involved in the goals of our Federation and the development of our sport. We value your participation, and your voice, while your contribution helps to provide us with the resources we need to continue to promote and develop equestrian sport in The Bahamas. Thank you again for your support!
President, Equestrian Bahamas
Your health and safety are paramount to Equestrian Bahamas, as is the well-being of your horses. We are closely monitoring communications on the COVID-19 Pandemic as it threatens to affect us all in an unprecedented way.
As a result of result developments here in The Bahamas, and in compliance with recommendations issued by the Government of The Bahamas and The Ministry of Health, the Bahamas Olympic Committee (BOC), and the Fédération Équestre Internationale (FEI), we wish to advise members that all upcoming competitions have been postponed until further notice. This includes the Rotary Clubs Show at Camperdown Equestrian Centre which was scheduled to be held on March 28-29.
Equestrian Bahamas will continue to assess the situation and update our position as circumstances warrant. As such we will keep you informed regarding the rescheduling of the Rotary show and the status of the final Spring show (April 25-26), and the BIEL Championship (May 17). We encourage you to remain responsibly informed regarding the COVID-19 virus, and wish you, your families and your horses the best of health in the weeks to come.
Cathy Ramsingh-Pierre, President
FEI Highlights The Bahamas’ Bright Future
Bahamian Rider Qualifies for World Championships
Bahamian rider Reine Pagliaro qualified for the 2021 Young Rider World Endurance Championships in Ermelo, The Netherlands, when she finished her second 120km/75 mile Endurance race at the Fun in the Sun Endurance competition held at Williston, FL, from March 13-15, 2020.
Team Bahamas Rocks at IEA Invitational!
Congratulations to the riders and coaches of Team Bahamas on their fantastic showing this past weekend at the IEA International Invitational in Conyers, Georgia. The team of 5 riders placed in 7 out of the 8 classes competed in, with results as follows:
Open Equitation Over Fences – Elle O’Brien – 6th place
Intermediate Equitation Under Saddle – Peyton Wong – 1st place
Intermediate Equitation Over Fences – Peyton Wong – 3rd place
Novice Equitation Over Fences – Mila Sands – 1st place
Novice Equitation Under Saddle – Mila Sands – 2nd place
Junior Varsity Beginner Equitation Walk, Trot, Canter – Maya Tilberg – 1st place
Junior Varsity Beginner Equitation Walk, Trot – Nicholas Astwood – 1st place
Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) Welcomes Bahamas Youth Riders to Conyers for International Invitational
The Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) along with the Bahamas Interschool Equestrian League (BIEL) – a division of Equestrian Bahamas recently held a selection trial in December in the Bahamas to select the top five Bahamian youth riders to compete at the IEA Hunt Seat Regional Finals in Conyers, Georgia on Saturday, February 15, 2020. The invitational competition, which is being held in conjunction with the IEA Zone 4/Region 1 Finals at the Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers, marks the first time in its 18-year history that IEA has invited riders outside of the United States to compete with their riders. IEA is a national equestrian organization for riders in grades 4-12 with more than 14,500 members in 46 states. IEA utilizes a unique draw-based approach to competition whereby riders do not need to own a horse, but rather are given an unfamiliar mount and tack on which they compete with little to no warm-up time or practice.
Making Strides – Equestrian Bahamas Selects First Riding Team
Eight young riders made their way into Bahamian sports history last week by participating in the Selection Trials Competition held by Equestrian Bahamas at Mariposa Riding Club. The riders competed for the chance to represent The Bahamas at the first ever IEA International Invitational competition, to be hosted by the U.S.-based Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) in Conyers, Georgia, in February 2020.
Last week’s competition was historic in several respects. For the first time in over 30 years The Bahamas held a qualifying event for an international equestrian competition. It also marked the first time that riders from outside the United States have been invited to compete in an IEA competition. Now in its 18th year, the IEA has over 14,000 members across the United States riding and coaching Hunt Seat, Western and Dressage disciplines. On hand to observe the proceedings were IEA Founder Roxane Durant, and Simon Towns, IEA Zone Captain and Zone 4 Administrator.
Windsor School Triumps At BIEL League Show
Seven teams competed in the second show of this year’s Bahamas Interschool Equestrian League (BIEL) series, with the Windsor School Team emerging as victors for the first time since last year October.
EB Rider Certification
Are you ready?
• Explore the website
• Read the on-line study guide
• Find out testing dates
• Ask your trainer for more details
2019 – 2020 EB Rated Horse Show Dates*
• Mariposa Stables: Oct 5 – Oct 6 (Hunter/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Nov 9 (Equitation)
• Mariposa Stables : Dec 7 (Jumper)
• Mariposa Stables: Jan 25 – 26 (Jumper/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Feb 8 – 9 (Jumper/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : March 28 – 29 (Jumper/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Apr 25 – 26 (Hunter/Equitation)
2019 – 2020 Bahamas Interschool Equestrian League Show Dates*
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Nov 10
• Mariposa Stables (includes IEA Selection trials) : Dec 8
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre (BIEL Championship Final) : May 17
*Dates subject to change
go to horseshows …