Welcome to Equestrian Bahamas
Join our community, as we support and encourage each other – learning, growing, and developing our sport through excellence! Whether you are a rider or parent, horse owner or trainer, sponsor or visitor, we hope you will find something of interest in our site.
Dear Riders, Trainers, Parents and Friends,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 horse show season! The season begins on a sobering note in the wake of Hurricane Dorian. Our sympathies remain with all those who experienced trauma and loss due to this devastating event.
The new season also brings cause for excitement and anticipation in the equestrian community, with new programs and opportunities for all members. An important milestone has been achieved as Equestrian Bahamas looks forward to being officially ratified and welcomed as a member National Federation by the Fédération Équestre Internationale (FEI) at the upcoming FEI General Assembly in Moscow in November, 2019.
Membership in the FEI, the official Olympic and International governing body of our sport, opens up whole new vistas of opportunity for Bahamian riders at every level. We begin this new competition year, therefore, by encouraging riders and horse enthusiasts of EVERY AGE AND LEVEL to become members in Equestrian Bahamas and join us in this exciting journey!
WHY BECOME A MEMBER? There are many reasons!
Competitive Opportunities at home and abroad
- Equestrian Bahamas members at EVERY LEVEL – from leadline on up – have the opportunity to join with our partner organizations such as the Princeton Equestrian League, the Marshall and Sterling League, and the US-based Interscholastic Equestrian Association. On behalf of our members, EB partners with these organizations to hold qualifying competitions and submit the results of these events, free of charge! As a result we congratulate all members who won year-end awards in the Princeton Equestrian League, qualified for the Marshall & Sterling Finals, and more!
- Only EB members have the opportunity to participate in our FREE Interschool Horse Shows. The success of this program has led to a partnership with the US-based Interscholastic Equestrian Association. This competition year we will be holding qualifying trials to field a team to compete in Atlanta, Georgia at the IEA Bahamas Invitational in February, 2020. Stay tuned for more…!
- EB members automatically become eligible to compete in FEI-sponsored events, internationally and throughout the region, such as the Caribbean Equestrian Association Regional Jumping Challenge.
- And of course, EB members can enter any of our 7 local shows during the 2019-2020 season, and compete for year-end awards!
Educational and Development Opportunities
- Members of Equestrian Bahamas at EVERY LEVEL can participate in our Rider Certification program, combining horsemanship and technical knowledge with fun to earn badges, prizes and more!
- EB members and coaches can participate free of charge in EB- and FEI-sponsored clinics and educational sessions on a variety of topics in horsemanship and equestrian disciplines. This year our coaches will be undertaking a number of professional development exercises which will directly impact our riders!
Civic and Social Outreach
- Equestrian Bahamas is dedicated to raising the profile of Equestrian Sport in the Bahamas and making the sport more accessible to riders from all backgrounds, through programmes such as our fully-funded Learn to Ride Summer programme for disadvantaged youth.
- We have partnered with the FEI, PAEC and the Caribbean Equine Relief Fund to provide thousands of dollars in horse feed, barn and medical supplies and other equipment to assist the barns in Grand Bahama which were affected by Hurricane Dorian. Your membership fees support our equine relief efforts as well as other social outreach programmes to bring the joy of equestrian sport to the wider community!
EB membership is for all those who love horses and are inspired by equestrian sport. Whether you are a rider, a parent, a horse-owner, or a horse enthusiast, membership in Equestrian Bahamas is for you. We are dedicated to growing our sport, providing opportunities for our riders, and building a community of people who love horses! We welcome one and all, and we are always looking for volunteers for our many committees! I invite you to check out all that we do and explore the links to our partner organizations through our website.
The deadline for membership dues for the upcoming year is October 1, 2019. If you have not yet submitted your EB membership renewal or application for the 2019-2020 year, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible. Please note that in order for points to count toward divisions and medals, all memberships (horses and riders) must be paid before (or at) the first show at Mariposa on October 5, 2019. Points will not be assigned retroactively to late payments.
To arrange payment of your membership dues please submit your application through your trainer, or contact Mrs. Sabrina Wong at [email protected]. Cheques should be made payable to Equestrian Bahamas.
Finally, we look forward to seeing you all at this year’s Annual General Meeting, the date of which will be announced shortly. The AGM is an opportunity for every EB member to become more involved in the goals of our Federation and the development of our sport. We value your participation, and your voice, while your contribution helps to provide us with the resources we need to continue to promote and develop equestrian sport in The Bahamas. Thank you again for your support!
President, Equestrian Bahamas
We hope that you and your families have made it safely through Hurricane Dorian. While we were very lucky here in New Providence, it is with a profound sense of horror and sadness that we see the devastation that our brothers and sisters in Abaco and Grand Bahama are suffering. In particular we extend our sympathy to Sissel Mosvold and her family. Tragically one of their farmhands and many of their animals perished in the storm.
As we begin the process of rebuilding in the weeks to come, we cannot forget the beautiful animals who depend on us for their health and well-being. As such Equestrian Bahamas has been working tirelessly in conjunction with local vets, the Bahamas Humane Society, the Bahamas Olympic Committee and the Caribbean Equine Disaster Relief Fund to get food and supplies to the surviving animals in Grand Bahama. The relief effort is being coordinated by Elizabeth Williams, EB Vice-President. She can be reached at [email protected], or by What’s App on 1(242) 359-2020.
Alternatively, well-wishers may assist by making a donation to the Caribbean Equine Relief Fund, which is a joint fundraising and relief effort that was set up after Hurricane Irma by US Equestrian (USEF), Equestrian Canada (EC), the Pan American Equestrian Federation (PAEC) and the Cayman Islands Equestrian Federation (CIEF) to help equines and their owners with post-hurricane relief. Our thanks goes out to Co-Chair of the Fund, Ms. Eve Van Den Bol, for her assistance with this matter. Anyone wishing to donate to help the horses in the Bahamas should call US Equestrian (USEF) directly at 1-859-258-2472 and ask that their donation be specifically earmarked for the Caribbean Equine Relief Fund within the general Disaster Relief Fund. Please note that a general donation via the USEF website will go into the general fund and not find its way to the Caribbean, hence, a phone call is required.
We are humbled by the international outpouring of support that we have received from horse lovers around the world, and wish to thank them all for their support. For further information on the efforts being made on our behalf, please check out http://www.horsewelfarenews.com
Let us remain strong and united through this difficult time…God bless our Bahamaland.
Cathy Ramsingh-Pierre, President
Making Strides – Equestrian Bahamas Selects First Riding Team
Eight young riders made their way into Bahamian sports history last week by participating in the Selection Trials Competition held by Equestrian Bahamas at Mariposa Riding Club. The riders competed for the chance to represent The Bahamas at the first ever IEA International Invitational competition, to be hosted by the U.S.-based Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) in Conyers, Georgia, in February 2020.
Last week’s competition was historic in several respects. For the first time in over 30 years The Bahamas held a qualifying event for an international equestrian competition. It also marked the first time that riders from outside the United States have been invited to compete in an IEA competition. Now in its 18th year, the IEA has over 14,000 members across the United States riding and coaching Hunt Seat, Western and Dressage disciplines. On hand to observe the proceedings were IEA Founder Roxane Durant, and Simon Towns, IEA Zone Captain and Zone 4 Administrator.
Windsor School Triumps At BIEL League Show
Seven teams competed in the second show of this year’s Bahamas Interschool Equestrian League (BIEL) series, with the Windsor School Team emerging as victors for the first time since last year October.
Equestrians win big in the Princeton Equestrian League
Spectators at the Mariposa Holiday Horse Show last Saturday got a special treat when Judge Linda Mancini stepped down from the judge’s booth to present awards to riders who placed as Finalists in the 2019 Princeton Equestrian League. Finalists were awarded certificates and rosettes as well as prizes bearing the Princeton Equestrian League logo.
Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) Invites Bahamas To First International Invitational
The Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) along with Bahamas Interschool Equestrian League (BIEL)-a division of Equestrian Bahamas will hold a Hunt Seat Invitational and Selection Trials on Sunday, December 8th at Mariposa Stables in Nassau, Bahamas. In addition to conducting regular rated horse shows, Equestrian Bahamas, a recently ratified member of Fédération Équestre Internationale (FEI), is in their 3rd year of developing BIEL – a team-oriented riding program using a draw-based competition format similar to IEA.
Equestrian Bahamas Officially Ratified!
It is with great pride and pleasure that Equestrian Bahamas announces that we have been ratified by the FEI General Assembly in Moscow, Russia, as the official National Federation for Equestrian Sport in all International and Olympic competition. This ratification comes as the culmination of six years of dedicated work by many. The Board of Directors wishes to thank all officials, riders, parents and other supporters who helped to make this possible. In particular we wish to extend thanks to the Bahamas Olympic Committee for their unflagging support in our efforts to promote equestrian sport in The Bahamas.
EB Rider Certification
Are you ready?
• Explore the website
• Read the on-line study guide
• Find out testing dates
• Ask your trainer for more details
2019 – 2020 EB Rated Horse Show Dates*
• Mariposa Stables: Oct 5 – Oct 6 (Hunter/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Nov 9 (Equitation)
• Mariposa Stables : Dec 7 (Jumper)
• Mariposa Stables: Jan 25 – 26 (Jumper/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Feb 8 – 9 (Jumper/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : March 28 – 29 (Jumper/Equitation)
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Apr 25 – 26 (Hunter/Equitation)
2019 – 2020 Bahamas Interschool Equestrian League Show Dates*
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre : Nov 10
• Mariposa Stables (includes IEA Selection trials) : Dec 8
• Camperdown Equestrian Centre (BIEL Championship Final) : May 17
*Dates subject to change
go to horseshows …